If your child is sensitive or intense, you might ask, “Is it worth getting a diagnosis?” or “Will the information from a diagnosis help or hinder my child and our family?” You may fear that a diagnosis will label your child in a negative way, or you may feel overwhelmed about what happens after a diagnosis.
In today’s episode, Stacy Bellward (podcast host) and Lynne Jackson (Connected Families Co-Founder) continue a conversation about diagnoses with Mandy Cuda, MD. If you’ve ever wondered, “Is it worth getting an ADHD diagnosis for my child?” or “Is it worth getting an autism spectrum diagnosis?” this podcast is for you. Mandy and Lynne share the insights and support that can come from a diagnosis and discuss the next steps for parents.
In this podcast, you’ll learn:
- to consider your own feelings after a child’s diagnosis–everything from grief to gratitude
- how to talk with your child about a diagnosis at any age
- questions you can ask your child to gain insight into their experience and how you can better support them
- when the phrase “Tell me more” can open up opportunities with your child and their care providers
- how to build a support system for yourself and your child
- the importance of the brain-body connection and when to ask, “What might be aggravating this child’s system?”
- how to navigate a conversation about medication with your child’s doctor
We hope that you have been encouraged by today’s podcast, and we look forward to getting to know you. Please check out our website, and don’t forget to reach out if you need help. It is a joy to be able to walk with you as you parent your kids in God’s grace and truth!
Mentioned in this podcast:
- Sensitive & Intense Kids: Navigating Challenge With Purpose and Hope: Registration is open!
- Ep 122: How To Know If Your Child Needs A Diagnosis or Extra Support
- Two Powerful Strategies to Help Your Highly Sensitive Child Thrive (includes sensory checklist)
- Sensory Checklist/Questionnaire
- James 1:2-4 (verse about trials bringing us to maturity)
- Ecclesiastes 4:12
- Child Advocacy page by Taylor Irby
- Connected Families Certified Parent Coach Program
Dr. Amanda “Mandy” Cuda is a family physician and Connected Families Parent Coach-in-training. She lives in Washington with her husband, a military pediatric urologist, and four amazing kids. Her connection with Connected Families began more than 20 years ago when, as a new Wheaton college grad, she worked with Jim and Chad in Minnesota. She went on to earn her MD from the Uniformed Services University and an MPH from the University of Washington. She served in the military for most of her healthcare career but has also served in community primary care and virtual care delivery.
Do you have a child with EXTRA needs?
Parenting isn’t easy, but when you’ve got an extra INTENSE or SENSITIVE child with big feelings… it’s even harder.
The Sensitive and Intense Kids online course will equip you to parent well, even with these unique kiddos.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed