Are you looking forward to celebrating Christmas with family but dreading unsolicited advice from well-meaning relatives? You are not alone. Changes in your daily routines, travel, lack of sleep, and large gatherings set the stage for parenting challenges. Sometimes these difficult situations may be scrutinized by other adults in your family. This may lead to comments or questions that don’t feel supportive. Navigating family gatherings can be tricky!
On today’s podcast, Chad Hayenga (Director of Education & Equipping) and Jenna Williams (Connected Families Certified Parent Coach) join Stacy Bellward (podcast host) for a conversation about navigating the holidays with relatives. Specifically, how you can respond when grandparents or other family members criticize you (or your children). Role-playing possible scenarios, Jenna and Chad bring humor and practical wisdom to you just in time for holiday gatherings.
In this podcast, you’ll discover:
- proactive strategies to intentionally prepare your family for upcoming gatherings, including evaluating your own expectations, having conversations with your children, and even having conversations with grandparents about their expectations
- roleplays to help you navigate criticism, unhelpful comments, or harsh discipline by grandparents or other relatives
- that you can model humility and the value of connection to your parents and kids during holiday gatherings and difficult situations
We hope that you have been encouraged by today’s podcast, and we look forward to getting to know you. Please check out our website, and don’t forget to reach out if you need help. It is a joy to walk with you as you parent your kids in God’s grace and truth!
Mentioned in this podcast:
- Connected Families Parent Coaching
- Connected Families Certified Parent Coach Program
- Connected Families Framework
- Unsolicited Advice? 4 Ways to Respond (Connected Families PDF)
Guest Bio: Jenna Williams and her husband, Sam, have been married for ten years. They live in Colorado Springs, CO, and have three amazing children ages 3-7. Jenna is a registered nurse by trade and works in a postpartum unit. She is also a Connected Families Certified Parent Coach and loves caring for and supporting families! Connected Families has been a true blessing for her and her family, and she is excited to share that blessing with others. You can find her on Instagram: jennawilliams0411.
Your gifts inspire parents to receive and pass on God’s grace and truth to their children, making a lasting impact from generation to generation.