What kids learn when they are disciplined will last a lifetime. But well-intentioned parents miss their kids’ hearts during discipline. It happens all the time. Instead of building the wisdom and respect they hope for, parents inadvertently build discouragement and resentment, which drives their kids to misbehave more. But it doesn’t have to be that way!
Our dynamic speakers share their own stories — both humorous and impactful — on their journey toward learning to parent from four powerful messages that all children long to hear:
1. “You are SAFE”: Before parents ask, “What should I do?” it’s important to ask “What’s going on?” As we take an honest look at what’s going on in us in the heat of the moment, we can work to be emotionally safe parents. Our kids learn best when they feel safe!
2. “You are LOVED”: The next step is about communicating to our kids that they are loved no matter what! This can happen anytime, but the “golden opportunity” of connection comes where you’d least expect it — in the middle of misbehavior! Effective empathy when kids are struggling communicates love in a powerful way, calms defiance, and paves the way for wiser choices (on everyone’s part!).
3. “You are GOD’S WORKMANSHIP”: Once we’ve built a strong message of safety and love into our kids, we can find and build strengths in kids, even in misbehavior! We can ask thoughtful questions, guide their choices, and even help them use the intensity and gifts that contributed to the misbehavior for more honoring purposes. This builds their identity as capable of doing good things!
4. “You are RESPONSIBLE”: Often parents want to skip right to this message — “I need to hold my child responsible!” But this message builds on the other three. This fourth message is more about helping kids take ownership of their life and their actions than simply enforcing punishments for bad behavior.
The workshop equips parents with practical tools for effective discipline and ends with an uplifting call to action: Let go of your primary (and exasperating) goal of trying to manage your kids’ behavior. Start mentoring their belief, empower them to manage their own behavior, and watch kindness and wisdom grow in your family! This isn’t a quick fix. But it is a lasting fix. What will you do to take the next step toward becoming a more grace-filled parent, even in the midst of discipline challenges?
This video will give you a taste of what this workshop will bring your audience:
The target audience for this workshop is parents of kids ages 2 to 18 who want to discipline in a way that changes hearts, not just behavior.
Usually this workshop is delivered as a single session running from 60 to 90 minutes. However, we have also adapted it to be delivered in two parts, given as a full-morning workshop, spread over a day-long or weekend-long retreat setting, and more.
Goals and Outcomes for Audience
- Audience members will be able to identify the typical parenting mistakes that are keeping them stuck in unhelpful discipline patterns.
- Audience members will learn a simple but powerful framework to help them be thoughtful about the messages they’re communicating to their children through their parenting.
- Audience members will leave inspired and empowered to embody God’s love to their children — even in the midst of discipline challenges!
This workshop is presented by Jim and Lynne Jackson (all lengths), Chad Hayenga (all lengths) or Anna Braasch (60-90 minutes), all of whom share the powerful Discipline that Connects principles interwoven with their own stories to help you transform your parenting.
What People Are Saying…
“When the Jacksons spoke at our MOPS group, I was moved deeply with the power and truth of their message. My husband I were feeling very overwhelmed and defeated in that season of parenting our intense daughter. I left leaving hopeful that our daughter was a “Bundle of Opportunity” and not doomed to failure as we have heard from others…My husband and I have seen major heart changes in ourselves. We have seen firsthand how God puts these kids under our care to shape and refine us. I am so grateful for the Jacksons and for how God has used them in a mighty way to help connect and strengthen families, including mine.” ~Sarah
“Jim and Lynne are extraordinarily gifted teachers. In their seminar, they combined wit and humor with deep insight and a soundly rooted Biblical perspective to give us a new perspective on timeless principles for parents. We feel re-energized and can’t wait to see what they have for us at the next session!” ~ Jolene and David
“This workshop transformed my mind to recognize that my daughter is a person with an intense personality. If it hadn’t been for this resource, I wouldn’t have been moved to recognize my daughter’s thoughtfulness, kindness, generosity. I can now see that when she acts out, it’s because she is hurting. Her emotions are deeply connected to others. I’m very thankful that Connected Families teaches connecting in relationship rather than controlling behavior. This is inline with who God is.” ~ Michelle
Bring This Workshop to Your Organization
To inquire about bringing Discipline that Connects to your church or organization, please fill out the form on the workshop page and we’ll get back to you to discuss the details!