“My kid is obsessed with gaming! Are they addicted? What should I do?” If you’ve found yourself making these kinds of statements you are not alone. It’s amazing how something small on a screen can have such a big impact. And screens are everywhere. How do you set boundaries when you think your child is addicted to screens?
There are real solutions and we are going to dig into them. Today’s podcast is the second of a three-part series focused on topics that dads often encounter as they seek to lead with grace. In this episode, Jim Jackson (co-founder of Connected Families) and Chad Hayenga (Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and Connected Families Coach) tackle the common but difficult topic of screen addictions (especially video gaming).
We’ll dive into important and practical topics such as:
- How you can use the Connected Families Framework to help your child and yourself have a healthy relationship with screens
- The importance of communicating to your child, “You are capable of overcoming this struggle!”
- How to build wisdom and responsibility in your kids’ video game habits while showing empathy and compassion
- Ways to ask questions and set boundaries with video games that invite conversation and connection with your child
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Want to learn more?
- Why Do Kids Obsess Over Video Games?
- Healthy Screen Time With Kids–An Oxymoron or Hopeful Possibility?
- Keep Calm and Stay Connected (to your teen!)
Take 15 minutes to learn how to give consequences that teach, rather than simply punish, by downloading our free ebook Consequences That Actually Work.